česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Konstantinovy Lázně

Konstantinovy Lázně

The Town of Konstantinovy Lázně (“Constantine Spa”) is the only spa town in the region. Geological base is formed by phyllites, locally rich in pyrite and graphite with inserts of metagreywacke and metabasites (the prefix “meta-” means that rocks succumbed to the metamorphosis, greywacke is clastic sediment with a predominance of rock fragments, basites are volcanic rocks of basaltic composition). This lightly metamorphosed unit passes at Dolní Polžice and Bezdružice toward northwest into mica schists. Tertiary volcanics (Ovčí vrch, Krasíkov-Švamberk, Kozí Peak and Hradišťský Hill) stand out above the relief of the countryside.

Circulation of the groundwater is bound to the shallow belt of surface weathered crystalline schists below the Quaternary cover. Circulation is deeper in the fault systems which are at the same time the connecting tracks of juvenile carbon dioxide. The most important are Konstatinovy Lázně and Břetislav thermal spring line in north-south and northwest-southeast direction. Against them is a transverse Polžice line with several mineral water springs between Konstatinovy Lázně and Kokašice.

The chemical composition of the mineral waters throughout the area is bicarbonate, iron, calcium-magnesium up to sodium-calcium-magnesium. Sulphate waters are formed only in Staré Lázně in the environment of graphite and pyrite phyllites. The first mention of the sulphur spring stemming from the swamps west of Nová Ves appears in the 16th century. The spring was used for the spa purposes since the early 19th century under the name Smraďák (Stinker). New spa was opened on the south in 1875 and new commune later named after Prince Constantine Dominik Löwenstein began to develop.

The spa was based on five mineral springs; the pipeline brought also sulphuric spring from Staré Lázně. In the years 1933–1934 the springs were reconstructed and mineral water collected in three springs – Štolový, Žofie and Karel. In the sixties of the last century springs were liquidated and captured by new bores. Currently, the publicly accessible spring is 40 m deep borehole BV-11 in the Spa Park. The spring as well as the main spa building is named after the famous Czech cardiologist, Professor Bohumil Prusík (1886–1964).

The Spa of Konstantinovy Lázně is focused on prevention, treatment and rehabilitation in cardiovascular diseases. The secondary indications include diseases of limbs, metabolism and of the respiratory tract.

***

Spa house

Chapel of Maria Lurdská

GPS position

N 49° 52.862', E 12° 58.871'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]