česky english deutsch >>>

Geopark's gateways

Bozkov

The community Bozkov with 580 inhabitants lies in an isolated projection of the Krkonoše foothills, high above valleys of the small rivers Kamenice and Vošmenda. The village's origin reaches deep into the 14th century. The first written reference originates from the year 1356, when a piece of forest was dedicated to the monastery of Hradiště, and the monks founded the parish „At the Virgo in Bozkov“. The village went through many events during nearly seven centuries of its history. At the end of 14th century, Bozkov belonged to the near castle (now ruin) Navarov. In 1635, the count Nicholas Des Fours acquired Bozkov as a compensation for his military debts. Bozkov was held by this family for more than 100 years and then sold to the family Caretto – Millesimo. In 20th years of the 19th century Rohans of Sychrov acquired the village. Finally, in 1923 Bozkov was promoted to a small town. Although the community doesn't lie on major road- and railway routes, it has what to offer. In the heart of Bozkov there is a pilgrimage site, the Virgo visit's church. At the rims of Bozkov, there is the Sejkorská chapel with beautiful outlook to Krkonoše and Kozákov, and the Bozkov dolomite caves which are the only accessible dolomite caves in the Czech Republic. In the Bozkov caves you can also see the largest underground lake in Bohemia. Also noteworthy is the Vošmenda valley natural reserve (with, among others, karst formations), and the Rieger's path through the Jizera valley. Thanks to the proximity of Krkonoše and Bohemian paradise with favorable conditions for biking in the summer and for skiing in the winter, Bozkov is a good place for holiday and relaxation.

The Pilgrimage Church

Historical image of Bozkov (Muzeum Českého ráje Turnov)

Bozkov dolomite caves

GPS position

N 50° 38.389', E 15° 20.200'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Geopark UNESCO Český ráj
Jiří Vlasák
Tel.:+420 481 540 111
e-mail:vlasak@geopark-ceskyraj.cz
http://www.geopark-ceskyraj.cz