česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Walking In Veseli

THE VESELI MANOR FARM

At the end of 16th and the beginning of 17th centuries, the Veseli estate was owned by Petr Vojsko (Woyska) of Bogduncovice. As he joined the Bohemian Revolt (the uprising of the estates against the Habsburgs), after the Battle of the White Mountain in 1620 and the defeat of the estates his property was confiscated. In 1625 the emperor gave the estate, as a token of his gratitude for loyal services, to the Hungarian nobleman Thomas Bosnyák de Magyarbél. Although neither he nor his ancestors made the Veseli estate their principal seat, they tried to improve it.

In 1646 Judith Balassa (born Bosnyák de Magyárbél) had a manor farm, a large square complex of buildings with stables, cattle byres, sheep pens, barns, and the bailiff’s office, built in The Suburb. The production focused on sheep raising and wheat and barley growing. In the 19th century the farm became a big sugar beet producer. To get the produce to the sugar refinery in Moravsky Pisek, a narrow gauge railway was built.

manor farm

After World War II, the manor farm, which was part of the Veseli estate, was confiscated by the state and the owners (the Chorinsky family) had to leave for Vienna. The once thriving farm deteriorated rapidly due to the changes imposed by the communist regime. The only building left from the original manor farm is the Baroque bailiff’s office next to the Culture centre on the namesti Miru (Miru square).

GPS position

N 48° 57.124', E 17° 22.966'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Vzdělávací a informační středisko Bílé Karpaty, o.p.s.
Marie Petrů
Tel.:518 322 545
e-mail:visbk@bilekarpaty.cz
http://