česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Walking In Veseli


The church of St Mary is located where there used to be the small trade settlement from which later on the town of Veseli grew. This part of town was later called The Suburb. The church is the oldest of the existing churches in Veseli. It dates back to the 13th century and was originally dedicated to St Bartolomew. In the Middle Ages it served as the only parish church for the town of Veseli, The Suburb, and two nearby villages (Milokost and Zarazice). Until 1834 the small church had been surrounded by a cemetery.

At the end of the 18th century the church was threatened by demolition. The idea was connected with the church reforms of the Austro-Hungarian emperor Josef II. It was at this time that Servite monastery in Veseli was dissolved, for example.

The local people were unwilling to give up the old church and tried to reverse the decision to tear it down arguing its historic importance and ancient origin. As a result, the church survived, having undergone only a Baroque reconstruction. The reconstructed church was then reconsecrated and dedicated to St Mary.

The remains of the former Romanesque arches and Gothic entrance are still visible on the old church’s façade.

GPS position

N 48° 57.192', E 17° 22.935'



Vzdělávací a informační středisko Bílé Karpaty, o.p.s.
Marie Petrů
Tel.:518 322 545