česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Walking In Veseli

CHORINSKY’S NARROW GAUGE RAILWAY

Sugar beet is an important commodity used for sugar and ethanol (alcohol) production. It is also used as fodder for domestic livestock. Since 19th century sugar beet had been grown also in the Veseli area.

To get the harvested sugar beet from the fields around Veseli to the sugar refinery in Moravsky Pisek, a short horse-drawn freight railway was built in 1879 by the owner of the estate, Count Bedrich Chorinsky. The 12km long track was laid through waterlogged alluvial meadows partly following an ancient path of brushwood and straw.

former railway bridge

In 1881 the railway was adjusted for steam engines. Although it was used mainly for transportation of agricultural produce, on special occasions it served also for personal use of the Chorinsky family and their guests. One part of the track was routed directly to the park entrance of the castle. At the end of WWII, when the front moved through Veseli in 1945, the railway was intentionally damaged by the retreating German army. After the war, there was no money for the necessary repairs and operation. However, it is still possible to find some reminders of the past in the form of milestones, remains of raised banks and bridges.

GPS position

N 48° 57.348', E 17° 22.412'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Vzdělávací a informační středisko Bílé Karpaty, o.p.s.
Marie Petrů
Tel.:518 322 545
e-mail:visbk@bilekarpaty.cz
http://