česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Walking In Veseli

WALK THROUGH THE CASTLE PARK

Although a small enclosure was founded in the vicinity of the castle in the 16th century, the park itself dates back to the 18th century and the Baroque reconstruction of the castle grounds. Its look changed again in the 19th century when a new part on the other side of the Morava River was added to the existing area. Apart from a French garden, the 20ha of park included many typical romantic features (grotto, Chinese pavilion, spa, ponds, maze, greenhouse with exotic plants, etc.) The General Laudon Memorial is one of the few surviving structures. Laudon ranked among the best commanders of the Austrian army. The owner of the Veseli estate, Frantisek Jan Chorinsky (1726–1812), was an officer of Laudon’s, and his friend.

the castle earlier

The park is also valuable for nature conservationists. Many of its majestic trees are the remains of the original plantings and are several hundred years old. Two of Czech Republic’s largest beetles, the Great Capricorn Beetle (Cerambyx cerdo) and the Stag Beetle (Lucanus servus) live here, their larvae mining the trunks of large dead oak trees. Both species are rare and protected by law. The park is also a nesting place of more than 40 bird species. This is why the park became part of the closest Special Protection Area (SPA Bzenecka Doubrava – Straznicke Pomoravi within the Natura 2000 Network of protected areas) established in 2005 under the EU Birds Directive.

General Laudon statue (memorail)

GPS position

N 48° 57.008', E 17° 22.606'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Vzdělávací a informační středisko Bílé Karpaty, o.p.s.
Marie Petrů
Tel.:518 322 545
e-mail:visbk@bilekarpaty.cz
http://