česky english polski <<< >>>

Dolní a Horní Lomná


A cholera epidemic broke out around Jablunkov in 1836. Praying and begging for an end to the disaster, people set out for a pilgrimage to the cross that had stood below what is the Lomná church today since 1833. Near the cross, there was a spring with “eternal water”, which would never run dry or freeze over, and was said to possess healing powers. Indeed, the cholera would soon end and regular processions would arrive at the place afterwards. The growing numbers of pilgrims and the wish of the local highlanders to have at least a chapel in the village led to the building of the present-day Neo-Gothic Church of the Elevation of the Holy Cross. Its foundation stone was laid in 1894, and the church was completed two years later. The spring exists to this day; the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes was built nearby.

The Barefoot Carmelites worked in the church in 1990 – 2000. The Stations of the Cross were built in those years; they are interesting for their materials as well as artistic rendering. The stone comes from nearby Řeka village, and the bronze castings and inscriptions were made in Rome. The path begins above the church, to which it comes back in an arch through a wooded ravine and past a cemetery. After the last station, commemorating the entombing of Jesus, the path takes the pilgrim back to the church. That seems to symbolise the fact that one’s life’s jou­rney may continue after death. The wooden cross by the spring, the main symbol of the site, was restored in 2009. Pilgrimages on the occasion of the Finding and Elevation of the Holy Cross are held in May and September, respectively.



Křížová cesta

Křížová cesta

GPS position

N 49° 31.809', E 18° 38.301'



Envidea, o.s.