česky english deutsch <<<

Castles on Rocks

Neuberg

At the beginning of the 13th century, the Lords of Neuberg settled east of Aš and not before long, they built a new castle on a high rocky buttress. The first written record of the castle dates back to 1288 when it was shortly lent as a part of a feoff to the Lords of Plavno. Soon after, it was returned to the Neuberg family. The castle remained in their possession until the death of the last male descendant of the Neuberg family in 1395 when the estate of Podhradí was obtained through marriage by the Zedwitzs. They held the castle for another 550 years up to 1945. During this time, the Zedwitzs built three additional manor houses in the close surroundings, which were known as Horní zámek (Upper Castle), Nový zámek (New Castle), and Dolní zámek (Lower Castle).

Coat of Arms of Lords of Neuberg

The original Romanesque castle was built in the northern part of the grounds. Later, perhaps at some time in the 14th century, the today’s 21.5 metres high round tower was erected on an elevated rock. The castle was probably abandoned in the 16th century and its ultimate end was brought about by a fire at the turn of the 16th and 17th century when the remains of the castle structures were demolished and used as building material.

Neuberg on beginnings of 19th century

A Renaissance chateau was built on the north-western castle foregrounds. Its precise appearance remains unknown. After being plundered by the Swedes at the turn of the 1630’s and 1640’s and once again in the late 17th century, the chateau was thoroughly reconstructed into a large rectangular two-storey structure. Following a fire in 1902, the chateau was deserted and it gradually changed into a ruin, and only the remnants of its outer walls are standing today.

Neuberg 100 years ago

The castle rock is built by quartzite mica schists. They were formed from sandy-clayey sediments on the seabed at the turn of Proterozoic and Archaean Age, which were transformed at high temperatures and pressures during the Variscan orogeny. Variscan (also Hercynian) orogeny was caused by the collision of old continents about 320 million years ago. Predominant mineral components are quartz, chlorite, muscovite and biotite. Designation quartzite means increased silica content.

Useful information

Source:

GPS position

N 50° 15.328', E 12° 12.252'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]