česky english polski <<< >>>

Okolí Jablunkova

JEWISH CEMETERY IN JABLUNKOV

From the Middle Ages onwards, Jablunkov was an important trade hub of the entire region. It was chiefly due to its location by the river Olše, along which an important merchant road had passed since time immemorial. It was the lively trading that brought Jewish businessmen here in the mid 18th century; they would progressively establish a prosperous community. In 1900, Jablunkov and its immediate vicinity was home to 207 Jews. The Jewish cemetery was set up in 1908. It was entered via a gate and included a morgue.

The Jews led peaceful lives until World War II, when almost all of them fell victims to the Holocaust. The Jewish cemetery in Jablunkov witnessed another tragedy towards the end of the War. On 13 April 1945, the Nazi murdered twelve people from the Polish villages of Istebna, Koniakow and Jaworzynka here. The deserted cemetery decayed after the War. The gate, the perimeter wall and the morgue were torn down and only a few run-down headstones remained. The following inscription has survived on one of them: “Here is resting the estimable lady Majne Rojse, chaste every inch and modest, the daughter of the late teacher and rabbi Jakov and spouse to rabbi Benjamin Jicchok Haber. She exhaled the spark of her life at the age of sixty-seven on 7 Shevat 692 of the short reckoning.” The headstones that have remained to this day are like silent witnesses: a reverberation of the words of families coming from distant ages and lands.

GPS position

N 49° 34.397', E 18° 45.771'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Envidea, o.s.
http://