česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Uhelná trasa

Oáza

The first permit to mine coal in the environs of the village Jenišov was granted in 1806. One of the first mines in Jenišov was Mariasorg, established by Josef Kalesanz Paulus, a tradesman from Jáchymov (St. Joachimsthal). Initially, excavations reached depths of up to15–20 m and were carried out mostly seasonally in simple shafts equipped with a hoisting winch. Later on, the introduction of steam engines contributed to the expansion of coal mining. A key impulse for the development of the local mining industry was the completion of the Chomutov–Cheb railway line, which section between Karlovy Vary and Cheb was opened in 1870. The railway was not only an important consumer of coal, but also allowed local mines to enter the domestic coal market. A boom in mining occurred at the turn of the 19–20th century, when 19 mines were gradually opened. The largest mines were Poldi, Mariasorg, Willemine und Caroli-Johanni. Since the 1930s, the mines were slowly shut down and the development of the municipality stagnated. Today, the only remains of brown coal mining are small spoil heaps and the body of water called Oáza located at the site of the former Poldi Open Pit.

Other points of interest include the Chapel of St. Anne from the 19th century and several monument trees – Majval’s Oak (Sessile oak, Quercus petraea) at house no. 38, Vorel’s Oak (Pedunculate oak, Quercus robur) at no. 65, and the Jenišov Oak (Pedunculate oak, Quercus robur) behind building no. 68.

Jenišov sights

Primitive coal mining with winch and bucket (according to J. Jiskra, 1996)

Oáza – the water body at the site of the former Poldi Coal Pit

Useful information

Further information

GPS position

N 50° 13.545', E 12° 47.713'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]