česky english deutsch <<<

Třetihorní subtropy

Pomezná

The Pomezná sand pit is located at the northern edge of the Františkovy Lázně part of the Tertiary Cheb Basin. The deposit is formed by gravely-sandy sediments from the Pliocene Period (1.8–5 M. A.), and the presence of claystones of the Miocene Cypris Formation in its basement is to be expected.

The sand quarry was established at the start of the 20th century and expanded considerably during the construction of the Skalka dam after World War II. The mineral extraction is currently complicated by an extensive land slide in the northern and north-western foreland of the deposit. The land slide has been active since 1974 and represents a big problem, because it devastates the adjoining parcels. Weathered crystalline rocks (mica schist of the so-called Arzberg Formation) are emerging from a separate edge in the western section of the earth slide and medium to coarse-grained porphyric Smrčiny granite further to the west. The whole territory has a complicated structure due to fault tectonics in the northern edge of the Ohře Graben.

The noble fortress, whose ruins are found to the west, near the sand quarry, was built with crystalline rocks. The first remark of the fortress dates all the way back to 1309. It was rebuilt as a mill in the 17th century. The site was still occupied in the 20th century. After 1945, it became desolate and, at the present day, only the remnants of the angular tower are left. The mill operations were taken over by a new small hydraulic power plant. Otherwise, the whole adjoining village of Pomezná (Markhausen) was torn down.

GPS position

N 50° 6.237', E 12° 15.575'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]