česky english deutsch <<< >>>

The Historical Educational Trail “Jáchymov Hell”

Jáchymov Outdoor Mining Museum

You are on the historical educational trail „Jáchymov Hell“, which leads little known, beautiful sites containing unforgettable history. The trail was created by the mining association “Barbora” in Jáchymov with the support of the Confederation of Political Prisoners and the Club of Czech Tourists.

The mining development in Jáchymov needed quantities of wood and water. Thus was created an ingenious system of canals and reservoirs that brought water to the mines and ore treatment plants. The most famous are the three ponds, of which around two also leads our route: the Municipal Pond (“Stadtteich”), the Špičácký Pond (also called Seidl’s, about 10 minutes from Abertamy junction) and the Heinz’s Pond in the Elias Valley.

Stamp mill with water wheel (16th century)

We are now at the dam of the Town Pond (“Stadtteich”). The pond in valley of the Jáchymov Creek was set up in the 1552nd. The pond served as a reservoir of water to drive machinery in the mines during summer and winter, when there was a water shortage. Elevation gradient and favourable location of individual mines enabled to achieve rational use of water power. Water was conducted to water wheels of the mines Vysoká Jedle and Svornost. Then was conducted into Daniel Adit and then flowed to the Jáchymovský Creek.

Municipal Pond 100 years ago

Repair of the dam (before 1930)

In the 19th century, waste rock from nearby mines was sprinkled into the pond. However, when after a few years here all the fish had died, the city council has banned it. It was probably a chemical poisoning by arsenic, bismuth and cobalt compounds. In 1930, a municipal swimming pool with an idyllic forest restaurant was established. In 1981 occurred during the spring thaw the bursting of a pond dam. The onslaught of water caused a flood in the upper part of Jáchymov. To repair the dam, the pond awaits yet.

GPS position

N 50° 23.051', E 12° 54.496'