česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Educational Mining Trail Přebuz

St. Elizabeth´s Drainage Adit

Educational Mining Trail Přebuz

The St. Elizabeth´s Adit was used for drainage, ventilation and as an escape route from the Přebuz mines. It connected several tin mines there. Its leaseholders excavated and maintained this gallery for centuries. The adit originated in 1540th years under the name Bartholomäussto­llen. In the 18th century was extended to the ore district Zechengebirge and renamed to the Elisabeth Adit. The work was abandoned between 1811 and 1815. During the Second World War, an attempt was made to renewal of the gallery, which has failed due a large inflow of water and roof falls.

Place of the mouth of the St. Elizabeth´s Adit

The hereditary adit mouths on the right bank of the Rotavský Creek at an altitude of 852 m ASL. It leads under the forest margin towards the northwest, and then pass the Otto Mine at a depth of 34 meters and the older mines in Zechengebirg a depth of 47 meters. Currently, the gallery entrance is completely collapsed. There is depressed terrain and a massive outflow of ferruginous mine water on the eastern edge of the row of pines. Water is drained into a ditch in the alluvial plain, which is a botanical paradise, and then to the bed of Rotavský Stream.

The St. Elizabeth´s Dra­inage Adit was a crucially important drainage adit in the 16th-19th centuries. Ferruginous water flows from its caved-in mouth and irrigates meadows with protected plants.

The oldest known municipal seal (beginning 17th century)

This text was written by Petr Rojík.

GPS position

N 50° 21.603', E 12° 37.195'