česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Educational Mining Trail Přebuz

Ritter’s Shaft

Educational Mining Trail Přebuz

The Ritter’s tin mine is located on the Kovářský (“Blacksmith”) Hill over the southwest end of Přebuz. The sink of the shaft started in 1909. The shaft originally named Frischglück (“Fresh Luck“) was 28 metres deep. Mining plan foiled the First World War.

The Ritter’s Mine consisted of headframe, engine and transformer stations (1946, archive ČGS Praha)

The tin ore mining began in 1933 by the “Zinngewerkschaft Dreikönigszeche” mining company. Before the outbreak of the Second World War, the shaft reached a final depth of 120 m. During the War, a 600 m long transport gallery on this level was tunnelled toward the Main Shaft, which functioned as a extraction shaft for the whole ore district. Whole ore was processed at a central treatment plant next to the Main and Otto Pits.

Series of sinkholes (“pingen”) at the Ritter’s Mine

A concrete skeleton of the former transformer station remains on the place of former Ritter’s mine. Other buildings including wooden headframe were torn down in 1966. Concrete foundations of machine and compressor stations are still noticeable. Mining pit was backfilled in 1981 and its protective zone was enclosed. In surroundings of the shaft stretch parallel series of mining depressions (“pingen”) that mark the northeast-southwest directions of tin bearing zones of the Přebuz ore deposit.

The former transformer station (2011)

This text was written by Petr Rojík.

GPS position

N 50° 21.904', E 12° 36.839'