česky english deutsch <<<

Mining Towns and Villages

Staré Sedlo

The first preserved record of a fortress named Sedlo dates back to 1249. The fortress stood on a spit located on the right bank of the Ohře River and served as an advanced defensive outpost for Loket Castle. In 1397, King Wenceslas IV handed the fortress over to the town of Loket. In 1414, Sedlo was a parish village, held by the lower nobility. After Nové (New) Sedlo was founded in 1454, the village began to be called by the name of Staré (Old) Sedlo.

The first known reports of brown coal and pyritic shale occurrence in the surroundings date back to the middle of the 16th century. Also dating back to this time are the first reports mentioning the Holy Trinity mineral plant, which was once one of the oldest manufacturing plants of alum, green vitriol, sulphur and sulfuric acid in the region of Sokolov.

Apart from pyritic ore, brown coal was mined in the town surroundings and its underground exploitation climaxed at the end of 1950s. The coal was surface mined in the Michal open pit until 1988. After the mining ceased and water reclamation took place, it then became a popular recreation area.

Church of the Holy Trinity

The main historic buildings of the community are the Church of the Holy Trinity and the Classicist castle, which served as the ancestral home of the important Starck family of industrialists, and now houses the municipal authorities. The “hereditary” drainage gallery of John the Baptist, whose mouth is located near the suspended footbridge below the castle, is a significant technical landmark. The deep valley of the Ohře River at Staré Sedlo is a protected nature monument, containing numerous pseudokarstic caves and fossils of subtropical Tertiary flora.

The John the Baptist Adit

Municipal Coat of Arms

Useful information

Sources:

GPS position

N 50° 10.861', E 12° 43.066'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]