česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Hory

The village Hory is located at the foot of the hill Roh (Hornberg, 582 m), on the boundary between the Sokolov Basin and the Slavkovský les Mts. Northwest rises reclaimed Loketská spoil heap below which once was the village Podhoří. The first written mention of Hory belonging to the estate Loket come from 1350. Along the river Eger took place mining of tin in the past. Mined were also iron ores, which were also processed there (the site named Kovářka = “blacksmith's”). In 19th to 20th century, brown coal was mined east of the village. The largest mine was Anthony, who operated 1823–1890 and reached a depth of 23 m. Other mines were Barbara, Philip-James and Francis-Charles. Until the second half of the last century was stone quarry in Hory in operation. Around 350 people work in the local porcelain factory in 1920. In 1930, the municipality had 1,028 inhabitants; in 1939 it was 1,005 people. In the period 1975–1993, Hory was a part of the Karlovy Vary Town. Since 1994, it is an independent village. In 2010 lived in Hory a total of 224 inhabitants.

Initials of the Wehinger Porcelain Plant

Half-timbered House No. 1

The attractions of the village include chapel and timbered House No. 1. In the Hory cadastre are located the Svatošské skály Rocks, a natural monument of primary importance. Around the village are often found twinned feldspar crystals, called Carlsbad twins. The historic mining activities and historical links to Loket estate are reminiscent in coat of arms of the village.

Municipal Coat of Arms

Useful information

Sources:

GPS position

N 50° 12.906', E 12° 47.182'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]