česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Jenišov

The village of Jenišov, situated in the immediate western surroundings of Karlovy Vary, was first mentioned around 1390. Historically, it was connected to the nearby town of Loket, and did not become a self-governing municipality until 1850. The first permit to mine coal in the environs of the village was granted in 1806. One of the first mines in Jenišov was Mariasorg. Initially, excavations reached depths of up to15–20 m and were carried out mostly seasonally in simple shafts equipped with a hoisting winch. Later on, the introduction of steam engines contributed to the expansion of coal mining.

The Poldi Shaft

A key impulse for the development of the local mining industry was the completion of the Chomutov–Cheb railway line, whose section between Karlovy Vary and Cheb was opened in 1870. The railway was not only an important consumer of coal, but also allowed local mines to enter the domestic coal market. A boom in mining occurred at the turn of the 19–20th century, when 19 mines were gradually opened. The largest mines were Poldi, Mariasorg, Willemine und Caroli-Johanni. Since the 1930s, the mines were slowly shut down and the development of the municipality stagnated.

Primitive coal mining with winch and bucket

Today, the only remains of brown coal mining are small spoil heaps and the body of water called Oáza located at the site of the former Poldi Open Pit. Other points of interest include the Chapel of St. Anne from the 19th century and several monument trees – Majval’s Oak (Sessile oak) at house no. 38, Vorel’s Oak (Pedunculate oak) at no. 65, and the Jenišov Oak (Pedunculate oak) behind building no. 68. In 2000 the village was given a coat of arms that reminds of coal and kaolin mining as well as the historical link to the Loket estate.

Municipal Coat of Arms

Useful information

Sources:

GPS position

N 50° 13.612', E 12° 47.954'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]