česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Mírová

The village Mírová, until 1955 Mnichov (German: Münchhof), lies on the Chodovský Creek between the towns Chodov and Karlovy Vary. In the village and its surroundings were mined lignite (brown coal) and kaolin. To the south lies Loketská spoil heap, now completely reclaimed. The original settlement was established around the fortified monastic court, built after the acquisition of Chodov estate by the Waldsassen Monastery in the late 12th and 13th century. The first written mention of the village is from 1437. Water fortress and manor house disappeared in the late 18th century. In 1785–1787, the plant for the production of alum from pyrites of overburden of coal seams was founded at Mírová. Rapid development of the production started only after 1838, when the factory and mine of Anton de Padua bought the famous industrialist Johann David Starck. After the exhaustion of suitable raw material after 30 years, the mineral plant was closed and the company concentrated on coal mining. In 1898, Mírová consisted of 84 houses and the miner’s colony of the company Montan-Industrialwerke of 12 houses.

The coal mine Anton de Padua in 1872

Mining fields and workings southern od Mírová

After the World War 2 and the establishment of the communist regime, began to talk about the name of the village. According to the former nomenclature committee has been in the country enough “Mnichov” (“Mnichov” means in Czech „Munich“) and also after the Munich agreement was unacceptable that name. After long discussions, the village was renamed to Mírová. Mírová was a part of Karlovy Vary in the period 1976–1990, since 1990 is an independent municipality. In 2010, the village received a coat of arms which reminds also the mining traditions.

Municipal coat of arms

Useful information

Sources:

GPS position

N 50° 14.253', E 12° 46.170'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]