česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages


The first written mention of the settlement called Poschytzaw come from the 14th century. Community development is closely linked to mining and industrial use of coal and kaolin. Brown coal (lignite) was mined in underground of the village and its surroundings. Part of the village is therefore undermining. The shafts Karl (in operation 1817–1925) and Sirius (circa 1850) are mentioned. The low depression of the Sirius mine is still visible on the left of the road to Nová Role. The mines Caroli (1850–1915), Caroli-Hedy (1915–1920), Heinrich II (1920–1944) and Heinrich III (1941–1950) extended into the Božičany area from the territory of a neighbouring Chodov.

From the 19th century, kaolin is exploited in Božičany and neighbouring Jimlíkov. The largest mining company was “Zettlitzer Kaolinwerke”, after World War II known as “Sedlecko-vildštejnské kaolinové a hlinné závody”, and since 1990 as “Sedlecký kaolin”.

Kaolin and porcelain works in Božičany

In the year 1890, the porcelain factory based on the extraction of kaolin was founded in the village. The company found a ready market at home and abroad. It worked until the middle of last century, when was nationalized and its production moved to a new plant in the near town of Nová Role. In 1967, the factory was destroyed.

Porcelain works in Božičany

Osmosa kaolin mine (2009)

The coat of arms of the village reminds kaolin mining and former tradition of porcelain production, as well as coal mining. Present are also attributes of the local patron St. Michael and beginnings of this former agricultural settlements. The blue colour symbolizes the ponds around the village.

Municipal Coat of Arms

Useful information



Jiskra J. (1993): Z historie uhelného hornictví na Sokolovsku, Chebsku a Karlovarsku. – Repropag Sokolov. 325 pgs.

GPS position

N 50° 15.459', E 12° 46.315'