česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages


The first known written mention of the village Svatava is in the document of King Wenceslas II dated 1391. In the 16th century, Svatava (originally Zwodava, German Zwodau) belonged to the Sokolov manor held by Schlicks and from 1622 Nostitz. 1751 was built in Svatava postal station that also served as a coaching inn. The building where slept even Johann Wolfgang von Goethe on their trips to Carlsbad was demolished in 1987.

The Svatava Township is an important centre for the Sokolov coal mining district. From the coal seams were initially mined pyrites for production of sulphur in primitive furnaces. In 1804 he started his business in Svatava Johann David Starck, who together with his son Johann Anton introduced chemical production, built a glass factory and workers' colony. There has been used coal in Starck's factories. From the name of industrialist is derived the name of the site Davidov. After the names of mining fields derives naming of the coal seams Joseph (Josef), Agnes (Anežka) and Anthony (Antonín), which is still used today. In wooded terrain is possible to find the mouth of the Hernych adit, that some of the mines drained.

An old map of the Starck's factories at Svatava

The Hernych Adit

Between Svatava, Habartov and Bukovany was situated last lignite pit of western part of the Sokolov district. The Medard Lake on its place will be the centre of an extensive recreation area east of Sokolov. From the cultural sight in Svatava, there ale Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, statue of St. Florian and female concentration camp memorial. Mining traditions commemorates the Svatava coat of arms.

Coat of Arms of the Svatava Market Town

Useful information


GPS position

N 50° 11.546', E 12° 37.565'