česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Goethova trasa

Goethe’s Stone

On his travels to Bohemia, the famous the poet, privy councillor and geognost Johann Wolfgang Goethe liked to relax at romantic white rocks between Aš and Hazlov. Today, the rock formations on a thick quartz vein called Goethe’s Cliff are natural monument. Due to its high strength, the vein quartz was mined in several quarries, the largest of which operated until the 1960s.

Goethe’s Stone

Near the southern edge of the locality, a blue trail marker indicates a turn-off leading to an inconspicuous rock dedicated to Goethe. The boulder has a commemorative plaque, which was placed there by Goethe’s friend Joseph Sebastian Grüner in honour of the visit Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia (1786–1859).

On this piece of rock stood
Gracious countess in deep emotion
Because Goethe from aristocratic circles left
Who are so fond of resting there

The ruling Grand Duchess of Saxon-Weimar-Eisenach Marie Pavlovna, Grand Duchess born Russian, to honour the memory of the poet when visiting the Goethe Stone in August 1846th. Newly fitted in August 28th 1894.

Commemorative plaque

Joseph Sebastian Grüner (1780–1864) was a lawyer and inspector. As a local historian of the Cheb region was one of the friends of Goethe. In the years from 1807 to 1864 he was a magistrate and superintendent in Eger. He met Goethe, who was on his way to cure, know at whose residence in the town of Eger and there was a long-standing friendship. Grüner was a member of the Bohemian Patriotic Society in Prague and the Russian Imperial Mineralogical Society in St. Petersburg, and received for his services to science the “Grossherzoglich Weimar'sche” gold medal. Its mineralogical collections came after his death in the museum of the Teplá Monastery in West Bohemia.

Joseph Sebastian Grüner (1780–1864)

GPS position

N 50° 10.605', E 12° 15.162'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]