česky english deutsch

Vlčí hora

Záhoří kaple

The village Záhoří (Sahorsch) extended in a shallow valley at the spring area of a nameless brook in a plain not far from the confluence of Mže with Kosí potok. The charming site, where originally the village had stood, is well visible from Vlčí hora. A frequent name “Záhoří” means in Czech village, which lies „behind mountains" in a remote place. To the former commune leads a yellow trail blazing from Černošín, or green trail blazing from railway stop Ošelín. Oldest notices about the village are related only to the year 1544. In a tax list from the year 1656 the commune had three rustic farmsteads. Also a manorial mill on river Mže belonged to it. In a slope behind the valley of Mže stand another ceased village, called Víska (Weska), which was mentioned in the year 1390. Víska, as well as the near Hablice mill (Hablický mlýn, Hablitzenmühle) originally fell into Záhoří. The settlement also included a forester's lodge, brick-kiln and 2 railway watch houses. In the year 1838 there were 15 houses in Záhoří, where 96 inhabitants lived. In 1930 Záhoří had 17 homesteads and 80 residents. Irregular ground plan of the commune documents that it did not form systematically. People from Záhoří went every Sunday to morning mass in Černošín. After the prayer wives made shopping and men visited livestock fair at the old cemetery. On a forest rim above Záhoří stands a Trinity chapel, which had built in year 1824 Georg Kalheg, a farmer from Záhoří. Originally arched, rectangle chapel was built on a ground plan 3.50×4.70 m. The village came alive once a year during the Trinity pilgrimage, related to this small chapel. The procession leading went from the church in Černošín, passed near the castle ruin Volfštejn and finally descended to the chapel of Záhoří. After the mass, coffee and bread with butter were served to the pilgrims as a snack. From that reason the Záhoří pilgrimage was called „Feast of bread with butter“. In the year 1946, 61 original inhabitants were displaced from Záhoří. After the exodus of German population the village was roughly half resettled. In its compounds 171 ha of agricultural soil were managed. Since 1950 the commune gradually depopulated, farmland was transferred to state farms and fields changed to pastures. The settlement ceased between years 1950 and 1960. Only one house used for recreation has remained, at which is located cemetery for dogs. In surroundings are ruins of original buildings. The chapel above Záhoří was renewed and re-consecrated in the year 2007, when first year of so-called Bread-butter fest proceeded, where former inhabitants from Bohemia as well as Germany participated. Since that time the Bread-butter fest happens yearly in beginning of June, as a remembrance of the ceased settlement.

GPS position

N 49° 48.146', E 12° 50.842'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]