česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Vlčí hora

The Třebel Castle

The Třebel Castle is located on a steep promontory above the Kosový creek. It was founded by the Lords of Svojšín in the 13th century. An important military encounter of the Thirty Years War, the battle at Třebel, took place at the castle in the 17th century . In June 1647 the Swedish army under the command of Marshal Wrangel launched the military intervention in Bohemia. Cheb gave up on the 17th July and Wrangel advanced further into the Bohemia inland. The Swedes came to the 2 km wide and up to 80 m deep valley of the Kosí creek. By seizing the castle Třebel they began to build the foreground. The imperial troops reconquered the castle on the 19th August. The Swedes then retreated then and built the camp about 2 km from the edge of the valley.

Engraving by Matthäus Merian shows the situation of the battle around the castle Třebel between Swedes and Ferdinand III. of 12 August 1647

The villages of Týnec and Vysoké Sedliště provided the administrative support. The Imperial army camp spread between Olbramov and Vlčí mountain with the town Černošín in the rear. Both armies built outposts and field fortifications. About 9000 imperial soldiers launched an attack on the 22nd August. After two hours of fighting, both armies withdrew, victory was achieved by none. Then the Swedes withdrew to German territory followed by the imperial army. Třebel castle was destroyed during heavy fighting. In 1648 Emperor Ferdinand III finally ordered the castle to be to pulled down, so that it could not be used in the anti-Habsburg revolt.

Třebel 1930

The battle at Třebel castle is shown in two engravings, which capture also the castle, by M. Merian. Archeological excavations and historical engravings show, that there were outer walls at the back of the promontory. The castle itself was protected by a moat , which was carved in the rock. A square tower protected the gate. Round bergfrit stood near the gate. Later an extremely large farmyard with baroque granary with carved cellars underneath and a gamekeeper´s lodge were built on the site of the former castle. Recognizable parts of the fortifications, moat and slight remains of walls are recognizable in the north and east. Several cannonballs are set in the walls of the former gamekeeper's house.

Granary is remained from the castle

GPS position

N 49° 49.156', E 12° 50.337'