česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Tachov

Hradby

Tachov was an important frontier town. Due to its location was called „keys of the kingdom“. For his defense were exposed walls. Fortification system encloses the entire original medieval city center.

Tachova medieval fortifications were built between 1300 to 1350. Originally the walls were double and south separated by a moat 45 meters wide. This venerable width was verified in 1995 by archaeologists. Ditch flowed leat, which strengthened still unregulated river bed Mze. There were built twenty-four bastions and three gates were demolished in the 2nd 19th century. Still in existence simple castle wall. The walls are among the best preserved in the whole country. Despite the city since then a lot has changed, fortification system retained its typical character of solid including passports fortifications. Walls 140 –150 cm wide with a sloping crown reaching sometimes up to ten-height and after the circuit has survived 21 defense, often only in the form of visible fragments. Height of each is nearly 15 meters towards the city are open. The western perimeter walls feature a typical lane linking the towers. Runs along the walls, and at its narrowest point is only two meters wide, 4.5 meters at its widest.

Bašta z pohledu z města

Vicinity Tachova is geologically built up silimaniticko biotite-biotite paragneisses and biotite major element of the Bohemian Forest Moldanubian orthogneisses and amphibolites, which consists of contact Bory mantle granitoid massif Variscan age. To build walls was always used material from the surrounding area and preferably one that could be easily adjusted. Therefore, the walls built mostly of paragneisses and amphibolites and a substantial part of the material are also local orthogneiss. In a much lesser extent in the construction of the walls were also used Bory granite massif.

Průchod hradbami

GPS position

N 49° 47.754', E 12° 37.876'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]