česky english deutsch <<< >>>



First notice about the commune Halže originates from year 1479. Geological background consists mainly of gneisses and amphibolite shales, rising up to the surface in many places.

The line Halže – Branka represents geomorphologic divide between two groups of Český les. In the south is located Přimdský les (here its Havran part), in the north Dyleňský les (Žďár part). The original village formed at one of branches of a long-distance route from Bohemia to Nürnberg, connecting Tachov with a German township Bärnau. Historically is this route somewhat younger than the older, more famed, and also more used line through Bor and Rozvadov. A historic monument is the church of St. Jan and Pavel. The commune had been having no proper church for a long time, and people had to come to Lučina. They lived to experience own church up to the year 1805, when a church in late baroque style has been finished.

Its tower was completed as late as fifty years later. Church was equipped by furnishings from the ceased monastery in Světce. Thus its equipment is older than the church itself. From Světce were carried font, pulpit and sculpture of St. Francis of Assisi, which is bellow the tower. The major altar is Empire with baroque picture and statues of saints. The church was until the World War I. proud of three bells, which were during the war re-melted and most likely weapons were fabricated from them. Only the main bell was found, which had been cast in year 1731. The other two bells were after the war fabricated again. Today they are again in the church not and their fate is unclear. Until the year 1955 a pseudorenaissance palace, originally built during period of baroque in 18th century, had dominated the village. From its last reconstruction in 1906, several outbuildings were preserved in southwestern part of the original palace grounds. After war the palace was confiscated from the Landwehr family, and functioned as a sanatorium for children. Later it served for accommodation of local crew of SNB, ensuring the guard of state boundary. In 1955 the palace burnt out and after that its remnants have been liquidated. Up to present have been preserved parts of castle's park in English style, where precious woody plants grow.

GPS position

N 49° 49.503', E 12° 31.562'