česky english deutsch <<<

Svojšín

Řebří

Jewish cemetery is to be found to the Northwest of the village Řebří. The bedrock consists of Tepel crystalline rocks. The base consists of phyllites, which alternate with slate. More phyllites are to the North and slate starts to grow towards the South. Šárka hill, on the southern slope of which the cemetery is located, is composed of metabasalts (green slate), metatuffs, metatuffits, which prove that the hill dates from neoproterozoic period, which is more than 500 million years ago. They are metamorphic rocks, which/that developed from the transformation of rocks caused by volcanic activity.

Jewish cemetery near Rebri

Jews begin to settle in Řebří in the middle of the17th century. In addition to other tradesmen the furrier and the manufacturer of mattresses have lived in Řebří. As early as the second half of the 18th century the focus of Jewish settlement and the seat of the religious community had moved to Ošelín. The chapelry was established in the attic of one of the few Jewish houses in 1724. It was separated only by boards from the rest of the room. Most of the Jewish families lived in rented homes. Jews owned only three houses in the middle of the 19th century. The cemetery is located on a relatively steep western slope, about 400 m Northwest from the centre of the village where the road Řebří – Ošelín crosses the creek Šárka. According to oral tradition the cemetery existed as early as 1660. From all sides it was surrounded by land, which belonged to the nobility.

Gravestone

Gravestone, type „Book“

It can be assumed that the land for its foundation was provided once by the nobility. Prior to the foundation of Stříbrský cemetery the dead from the city of Stříbro were buried here. Sometimes this cemetery was called Svojšínský because it served the Jewish communities not only in Ošelín but also in Svojšín. Its significance exceeded far beyond their region. It is the largest cemetery in the catchment area of the Tachov region. The cemetery contains 143 graves or fragments. The oldest legible tombstone gives the year 1742 , the youngest one 1934. Major repair of the cemetery was undertaken between 2003 and 2004. The unplastered enclosure wall, consisting of fitting flat stones of local origin, is the most well preserved. In 2007 the cemetery was declared a national monument. It is also worth mentioning that the cemetery is lined on both sides by distinctive hollows of the former Nurnberg trade route.

GPS position

N 49° 45.896', E 12° 52.581'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]