česky english deutsch >>>



The commune Svojšín was founded in valley of river Mže in 12th century. The river valley cuts down since the Younger Tertiary and is fringed by outcrops of phyllites and mica schists of Upper Proterozoic. Svojšín is in written documents for the first time mentioned in the year 1176. In 14th century the village had two parts. Horní Svojšín with a stronghold and St. Peter- and Paul church was separated from Dolní Svojšín by the river. Out of the masters of Svojšín the most known is Petr Zmrzlík, who was royal Münzmeister. As a follower of Hussites he became hetman in the army of Jan Žižka of Trocnov. In Svojšín is located a Romanic St. Peter- and Paul church, and close to it a baroque palace. The church stands in the top point of prone village square and is part of a district, which included a feudal seat of masters of Svojšín and a Meierhof. The stronghold stand close to the church and it was connected by a small bridge with its tower. In year 1554 the count family Příchovští z Příchovic obtained Svojšín. The countess Judita Příchovská had in r. 1723 near the church built one-floored palace with a farming compound. In interiors of the baroque castle are preserved leathern wallcoverings and marble fireplaces. In the castle also count Antonín Petr Příchovský was born, who held in years 1763–1793 the post of Prague archbishop. Further owners of castle were J. Bigatto, K.A. Juncker, and Dr. Klement Podeville, who owned Svojšín until the year 1945. After 1945 the castle was overtaken by state. At present it is property of the commune, which uses it for social and cultural purposes. In the village square bellow castle is a fountain with baroque statue of St. Jan of Nepomuk from year 1722. To Svojšín belong villages Holyně, Nynkov and Řebří. Bellow the castle there are two terraces and a purple beech, which has status of a protected tree. At the palace is starting point of an instruction trail, intent on trees.

GPS position

N 49° 46.004', E 12° 54.644'