česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Lazurový vrch

Pístov

Pístov surroundings consists of transformed rocks, especially garnet amphibolite. During weathering iron ore, also called limonite ore, was created. Layers of brown to reddish- brown limonite reachead from several centimeters to several decimeters in thickness. Pits remaining after iron ore mining ceased are to be found in nearby Holubín. The last mention about iron ore mining in this place is from 1834. The last output in this year was 1095 mugs of iron. Pístov is known to be a pilgrimage village. The first mention of the pilgrimage church of Sv. Bartoloměj (St.Bartholomew) is from 1236. In the 14th century Pístov passes under the monastery of Teplá. The pilgrimage church was built according to the plans of the brothers Dienzenhofer in the years 1750 – 1765.There is a valuable fresco decoration inside. For centuries Pístov was an important parish center, which extended up to Kosí creek. The tumulus to the north of the village was built in 1965 from roughly hewn stone. The memorial is dedicated to the victims of the Marches of Death that took place at the end of the Second World War. The march, which started in the concentration camps of Legenfeld and Zwickau on the 13th April 1945, amounted to 1 450 men and 150 women. After eight days they had reached the road between Martinov and Holubín where they had been attacked by mistake by U.S. aircraft gunfire. 16 prisoners died on the spot and all of the remaining injured were mercilessly massacred by German soldiers. In the evening German residents from the nearby Pístov took the victims on four wagons and dumped them in a pit in the forest about 100 m from the cemetery. The place was not marked . Exhumations conducted in March 1946 showed 66 victims in a mass grave. Victims from Poland, the Soviet Union, Italy, Belgium, Germany, Yugoslavia, Hungary and Czechoslovakia were put into coffins and buried with dignity in the cemetery.

***

***

***

GPS position

N 49° 55.443', E 12° 45.853'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]