česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Český les

Stará Knížecí Huť

Stará Knížecí Huť was founded at the turn of the 17th and the18th centuries. The area of the border deep forests was owned by the Lobkowicz at that time. In his request to build a glassworks Jan Kollhauf says that he will produce sheet glass and glass for the carriages. Jan Kollhauf leased the glassworks until 1709 and produced crystal and bone glass there. The next owner was Jan Götzinger. His glass production was focused on the production of window panes and “páteříky”. “Páteříky” were small spherical bodies with a central hole, actually glass beads for rosaries. The name is derived from the beginning of the Lord´s prayer in Latin Pater Noster. Glassworks were successful in the first years because they exported without duties. However, since 1713 the owner has been forced to pay large sums for export to Lesná. He gets into financial problems in 1719. His further fate is unknown, but it is likely that he moved glassworks to Pfalz territory to avoid customs duties. The name Fürstenhhütte is associated with the site only from 1731. Stará Knížecí Huť is mentioned in 1738. A small farm was set up near the glassworks, mainly for horse breeding, because horsed carts transported the products and materials for the glassworks.

Ruins of houses in Stará Knížecí Huť

The erection of new glassworks in Nová Knížecí Huť means the end for the old one. They worked together for a while. In 1749 Stará Knížecí Huť was ramshackle. Glassworks operation was limited, because all the wood necessary for glass melting furnaces had been harvested in the area. It was closed in l750 according to the entry in the Teresian land register . Other authors date its disappearance in 1800. The precise location of the glassworks is not exactly known.

The Huťský rybník pond

It was probably down at the creek where there were two ponds, which can be reached after 150 m walk to the north of the former Nová Knížecí Huť. Fragments of glass pots and glass blank were found in the creek in 1999 and can still be found there even now.

German monument

GPS position

N 49° 43.293', E 12° 28.136'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]