česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Broumov

Neu Haimhausen

The old iron-mill produced, in addition to soft iron and cast iron, also iron for nailers so called “cánové” iron (from the German word der Zein – bar) in so called “cán” hammer mills. Less common was the production of sheet metal and, in particular, of wire. It was closely related to the quality of the soft iron, which was not always suitable for further processing. It is surprising that a relatively small local mill produced such high quality soft iron, even for production of a wire. Due to the uniqueness of the production in this country, we will familiarise with its fate in detail. The origin of an iron mill in the Broumov part of Neu Haimhausen dates back to 1749. After an interruption the production was renewed again in 1767. Interesting is the weight of the obtained iron lump called „plik“ which was half in comparison with the general average of 250 kg. It could be explained probably by the better grade of obtained iron, which was close to soft iron with its quality. It contained much less extraneous substances. The proof is relatively low loss at its next processing. The pole hammer mill had a water wheel that powered the large iron-mill hammer and small forging hammer. There were two furnaces, one smelt furnace and one forge. The bloomery furnace was replaced by the blast furnace in 1771. This was the start of a new chapter in nearly a century long history of ferrous metallurgy in Chodová Planá.The ore was hauled from their own mines by Salajna and Šitboř in the Cheb region. Ore from Arzberg was added for better melting. In 1847 the owner of the mill Kajetán, Count Berchem – Haimhausen was granted a patent for copper electroplating of the wire. Sales increased and thus the wire mill was expanded and modernized in 1851. The Upgraded wire-mill was able to produce more products, but already in 1859 it got into crisis due to high tariffs and reduced demand. The last blow was the competition and the reduction of prices of iron products that small iron works were not able to withstand. The blast furnace was shut down probably in 1867 and the hammer mill and wire mill finished in 1870. Only ruins of the old hammer mill and a statue of St.Vitus at the castle remind us of iron smelting today.

***

***

***

GPS position

N 49° 53.302', E 12° 35.935'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]