česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Přebuz

The Přebuz townlet lies at the crossroads of Nejdek, Šindelová and Stříbrná in the district of Sokolov. First written mention of Přebuz dates from 1553, when the village was granted town rights. Already in the 14th century, tin was panned in surroundings. A mining office was established here in 1556. Tin mining survived with many interruptions until the middle of the last century and its remains are encountered around almost everywhere. Famous was the tradition of bobbin lace in Přebuz. A remarkable personality of the first half of the 18th century was Father Daniel Mayer, who later became Archbishop of Prague, which in the rough region introduced growing potatoes.

Ancient municipal seal

Přebuz at early 20th century

The village is notable for its particular baroque church of St. Bartholomew, which follows the tradition of mining (adit and mine St. Bartholomew from the 16th century). It is probably the third temple in Přebuz. Inside the church is a picture of town after the big fire of 1869, and also the massive stone font. Přebuz is remarkable for characteristic architecture and intact mountainous countryside. The surrounding area was declared to a Nature Park, and there are protected areas Velké a Malé Jeřábí jezero (Large and Small Crane Lake), Velký a Malý močál (Big and Little Marsh) and Přebuzské vřesoviště (Přebuz Heath).

Coat of Arms

The town coat of arms received Přebuz 1672 from John Hartwig, Count of Nostitz. It consists of Nostitz coat of arms with added red shield with crossed hammer and pick.

GPS position

N 50° 21.999', E 12° 37.142'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]