česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Vysoká Pec

Vysoká Pec is located in the beautiful wooded valley landscapes of the Krušné hory / Erzgebirge Mts. with an altitude of around 750 m above sea level. The municipality was established by merging the two villages, Vysoká Pec and Rudné, which were until 1991 part of the nearby town of Nejdek. The village arose on the former mining area with tinning and iron works. The first written reference about the village dates back to 1590. It is situated on a so-called Ironstone trail leading from Bohemia to Upper Saxony. Already in the 16th century, an eleven kilometres long moat and a blast-furnace were in operation there. In the beginning of the 20th century, after 300 years, the mining was ended. In the village there is a football field, a multipurpose area for basketball and volleyball, a wall to practice tennis and there are also good conditions for Nordic walking. The village’s sights include the Church of the Virgin Marry and a Western town that lies in the basin of the former mine Jeroným. An educational path with 13 information boards takes you around the village’s history and nature using old mining. Mining history of blast furnaces and ore is reflected in the coat of arms.

The Municipal Coat of Arms

Rudné on the photo of Josef Dvořáček

„Pingen“ on the Díže Hill

Exploratory adit in Vysoká Pec (Photo by Petr Uhlík)

Partly taken from promotional materials of the Nejdek Town issued 2007 and co-financed by the European Union and the Karlovarský kraj.

GPS position

N 50° 20.807', E 12° 41.977'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]