česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Nejdek

Nejdek was founded in the middle of the 13th century as a mining and logging colony on a trade route leading to Saxony. Written accounts of its existence date back to 1340. It was granted town status in 1410. The largest boom in ore mining occurred in the era and under the rule of the Schlick lords (1446–1602). The town’s coat of arms, bearing an impressive pair of antlers above the red shield of the Schlick family, dates back to this time.

The Nejdek Coat of Arms

Primarily tin ore was mined in the region of Nejdek, but iron ore mining began as well, which led to the construction of smelteries and forges. After decline in mining in the 17th century, the inhabitants supported themselves by homemade products and crafts, mainly involving button making, weaving and bobbin lacemaking. Economic revival was brought about by the industrial revolution, a time marked by the building of industrial factories, which defined the town’s appearance – ironworks, spinning mills, the paper mill and the construction of a railway line to Chodov (1881) and from Karlovy Vary via Nejdek to Johanngeorgenstadt (1889).

Nowadays, Nejdek is an industrial town, an important recreational region and a starting point for tourism in the Krušné hory Mts. Among the most interesting attractions in Nejdek belongs a castle tower that is the remains of a medieval castle and serves as a Roman-gothic bell tower of the baroque St. Martin’s church. The Nejdek rock was shaped by the Rolava River. The rock is given as an example of a cubical slacking of granite and was, together with the tower, immortalized by J. W. Goethe, who drew it in 1786 when he travelled through Nejdek. To the other sights of interest belong a neo-gothic evangelical church, a museum building, Nejdek’s chateau and the renowned 1500metres long Calvary. The town centre is listed as a historic monument. One of the most beautiful views into the Ore mountains valley can be seen from the stone view tower on the Tisovský Hill (Pajndl) which is open for the public all year round. Many marked tourist paths lead there.

Ancient Nýdek (Nejdek) around 1890 (according to A. Levý)

The Church of St. Martin

The Pajndl Tower

Partly taken from promotional materials of the Nejdek Town issued 2007 and co-financed by the European Union and the Karlovarský kraj.

GPS position

N 50° 19.486', E 12° 43.946'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]