česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Horní Blatná

The region between Boží Dar and Potůčky in the Krušné hory / Erzgebirge Mts. belonged in the 15th and 16th century alternately to Bohemia and Saxony. Until 1459 it held the King George of Podebrady, but then fell Saxon Dukes. After the victory of Catholics over Protestants in the Schmalkalden War in 1546, Ferdinand I of Habsburg joined him again to the Bohemian Kingdom.

Town Seal (16th-17th centuries)

In the past, Horní Blatná belonged among the most important tin ore deposits in Bohemia. Probably since the 14th century, panning for tin grains had taken place in the surrounding area. Cassiterite was also extracted from weathered and sandy outcrops of cassiterite veins. Other metals were also mined, predominantly silver and iron. The tin district prospered until the end of the 16th century. The subsequent decline was mainly caused by an all-European economic crisis and the exhaustion of shallow and easily mined deposit sections. Serious blows to mining were dealt by the Thirty Years‘ War in 1618–1648, the exodus of Lutheran miners to Saxony, plague epidemics and repeated famine. In the 17th century, only the placers were operating in the district. The main mine located on the Blatenský Hill was Wolfgang, which already operated in 1532. The so-called Vlčí and Ledové jámy, which are now located on its grounds, formed because of the combination of surface and underground mining of the Wolfgang and Jiří greisen veins. The Vavřinec (Laurenti) drainage gallery, which saddled the mine underground, had been driven by the town since 1749.

Ledová jáma („Ice Pit“)

Other significant mines were the Konrád and Gabriel mines located north of the town. They ceased to operate in 1790 and 1809. The nature trail, which leads to the Blatenský Hill and the Vlčí and Ledové jámy Pits, is dedicated to the history of mining and other points of interest.

Coat of arms consists of a shield halved. In the right red box is silver beam. Left field is divided into two red fields. In the upper field is left walking a silver lion with uplifted paw. At the bottom are crossed tin mining tools – rakes and pickaxe in natural colours.

Municipal Coat of Arms

GPS position

N 50° 23.491', E 12° 46.211'