česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Boží Dar

Already in the year 1531, tin mines were mentioned in the surroundings of the present-day Boží Dar. A mining settlement was likely established there in the same year. It is assumed that tin was extracted from placers, even below the peat cover, even in 12th and 13th centuries. The tin placers from the 16th century westward of Boží Dar, in the shallow valley of the Černá (Schwarzwasser) stream are the biggest on the territory of Czech Republic; the hillocks of washed gravel are up to 3 m height. In the year 1531, silver mines are mentioned – St. Lorenz, St. Jörgenstollen, Drei Feder, in the year 1532 St. Albrecht. The mining law was valid from 1534. The main mining prosperity (especially tin exploitation) took place under the King Ferdinand I. The settlement name is derived after exclamation of Johann Friedrich, Duke of Saxony, reputedly. When a seat made of a piece of silver was offered to him for a rest, withheld in words: „Dieses edle Metall, das ist euer Brot, das ist eine Gabe Gottes“ („This noble metal is yours bred, it is a God's gift“). After other sources, the name Gottes Gabe was used for the shaft St. Lorenz since 1525.

Medieval mine with hoist and the melting of bismuth in the 16th century (according to Ercker)

Boží Dar (Gottesgab) was ennobled to a free mining town by Johann Friedrich on Juny 6, 1546. The town used a simple coat-of-arm with mining tools. In the end of the 17th century, it was in use a halving coat-of-arm with hammers in the left field and crossed pick and fork on the right. On the seals from the year 1673, an image of God-Father in clouds is placed above the coat-of-arm. This image was at first a decoration only but later became a traditional coat-of-arm protector.

Municipal Coat of Arms

After the Thirty Years‘ War (1618–1648), production focused on cobalt, arsenic and tin, because their extraction was not unprofitable, as was the case with other metals at that time. In the middle of the 19th century, mining practically ceased and the inhabitants supported themselves with logging, lacemaking and homemade crafts. Mining operations at Boží Dar were revived for the last time after World War II – tin, tungsten and primarily uranium were of interest. At present, Boží Dar is a significant tourist centre for winter and summer events and activities.

Krušné hory lacemakers in 1921

GPS position

N 50° 24.658', E 12° 55.334'