česky english deutsch >>>

Mining Towns and Villages

Jáchymov (Skt. Joachimsthal)

Silver Mining in the Jáchymov area began in the early 16th century. In writing is first documented in 1516, when newly inaugurated mining society based by Count Stephan Schlick operated there. Mining settlement known since 1517 as Jáchymov (Sankt Joachimsthal) won in 1520 the status of a free royal mining town. In the Counts Šlik Mint, began the history of coins called Taler (according to place of origin Joachimsthal / Joachimsthaler), which gave name to the American dollar.

Old images of Jáchymov Talers

Within a few years Jáchymov became after Prague, the second largest city in the country. In 1534, there were 18,200 inhabitants. In the early 17th century, silver ores was exhausted, and attention turned to nickel, cobalt, bismuth and arsenic. To them in the middle of the 19th century also added uranium, which were used to produce colors. In the waste from the colors fabric, Marie and Pierre Curie discovered a new elements polonium and radium (1898). In the early 20th century, Jáchymov was the world's main producer of radium. The last period of mining related to the use of uranium for nuclear purposes. Short and reckless exploitation of uranium ores in the years 1945–1964 increased moral and material damage in the region caused by the deportation of the German population, the restricted border area, and practices of the Communist regime. After closing down in 1964 followed the spa town tradition, which began in 1906 by official recognition of the spa home with four baths, where miners wore water in wooden buckets. The therapeutic effect of radon water is soft due to the action of α-radiation on the immune system stimulation.

Jáchymov late 19th century

The town coat of arms consists of a quartered shield. The first and the fourth one are divided diagonally, red and gold, with silver double-tailed lion. In the second and third field of blue colour are two grey rocks with gold winch building and figure of a miner in front. In the middle of the shield is a red heart label with silver beam, with crossed hammer and pick. The whole shield holds supporters: St. Joachim on the right and St. Anna on the left side.

The Municipal Coat of Arms

GPS position

N 50° 22.306', E 12° 54.831'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]