česky english <<< >>>

Group of churches in Broumovsko

All Saints Church – Heřmánkovice

Construction of the church

The gothic church, mentioned in 1353, became after the Thirty Years' War a subsidiary and was administrated by a parson from Šonov. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on November 8th in 1722. Abbot Otmar Zinke selected Kilian Ignaz Dientzehofer as the author of a design. Raw building was completed and consecrated in 1723 and the next three years there were still works on the completion and finishing of the interior. In the vicinity there was preserved a baroque parsonage.

All Saints‘ Day

All Saints’ Day is a Christian holiday that commemorates all saints, not just those who are formally canonized, but also those “about whose holiness no one knows except God.” The feast is celebrated across the Christianity, in the process churches emanating from Western Christianity celebrate it the first of November, while Eastern Christians the first Sunday after Pentecost. The Roman Catholic Church and some other Western churches follow the holiday on the second of November commemorating all the faithful deceased, popularly called All Souls' Day. In these two days it has become a custom to visit the cemetery and the family grave and light a candle there.

Landmarks in the interior

The ceiling of the church is decorated with a view to the heaven, in the semi-circular fields there are painted images of the four evangelists. The original painting created soon after the construction of the church was repainted in 1865. The preserved organ is the precious artefact in the interior of the church.

Local tale – The Swedish head

During the Thirty Years’ War (1618 – 1648) also the people from Heřmánkovice met the Swedes. Among Heřmánkovice and Ruprechtice there were field at that time. And towards Ruprechtice there were “Swedish bulwarks” (allegedly still visible today). There the imperial army fortified itself. It was attacked from Ruprechtice by the Swedes and had to retreat to Heřmánkovice. One of the imperial soldiers hid during the retreat in the cemetery, but he was found by a hunting Swede and then a duel to the death happened. Both fell – the imperial on the ground and Swede still dragged himself about 50 m down to šolcovna (Building No. 1), to the cemetery wall. Here he stayed lying dead. They were buried at the place where they fell. Two small crosses showed the graves of both soldiers. The grave of the imperial was right next to the existing mortuary (next to the original wooden church), the Swedish grave was located by the outside wall of the cemetery next to the door to the cemetery. A Swedish commander had a head from sandstone carved into this wall in remembrance of him.

Only in 1902, when the cemetery was enlarged and new cemetery walls were built, the two crosses together with the head were dug up and transferred from the original sites and walled into a new cemetery wall at the gate of the cemetery. One cross is made of red sandstone and the other, the damaged one, of grey sandstone. Among them, the “Swedish” head.

Useful information

Board service:

Practical information:

Tips for trips:

Important telephone numbers:

GPS position

N 50° 37.933', E 16° 19.328'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]