česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Sklářská stezka II – okolím Železnorudska

Javorná, Seeviesen

Javorná (St. Anna or Zejbiš) and its surroundings represented significant Bohemian centres of glass production for several centuries. In the period between the 16th and 18th century, the products of some of the local glassworks belonged to the best ones in the country. The first records of Javorná glassworks date back to the middle of the 16th century. However, the beginning of glass history is not quite clear. A record from the year 1560 mentions the death of Mr. Preissler, a glass master from Javorná who had a little son Andreas. Soon after, his widow, Mrs. Preissler, got married to a glass master Hans Thumbs who took over the Preissler´s glas­sworks in the first half of the 90s in the 17th century. The records from the years 1565 – 1615 talk of it as of a rather small glassworks in Šumava region. Mr. Preissler is mentioned under the name „Ondrzej Sklenarz Petrlowy“. As early as in the 16th century, Javorná glassworks would produce hollow glass, sometimes with paintings. One of the painters was Marek Maynald. It is assumed that there were at least two glass operations running in Javorná region changing various localities. They are believed to be mainly focusing on the production of glassbead, which did not pay off during the Thirty Years´ War. The glassworks had to stop the production for about thirty uninterrupted years. Written by PhDr. Jitka Lněničková

Useful information

Important information:

GPS position

N 49° 13.113', E 13° 18.085'



Město Železná Ruda
Milan Kříž