česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Sklářská stezka II – okolím Železnorudska

New Glassworks below Ostrý, Neue Osserhütte

The glassworks was built on the right bank of Bílý Brook, being in operation already in summer 1845. Similarly to its predecessor, its main production consisted in sheet glass, newly also mirror glass (smaller mirrors of so-called Jewish measure were produced here). In the second half of 19th century it employed about 20 workers. The expansion began in 1974 under the management of Franz Schrenk Company. It was modernised to a large extent – a regeneration furnace was installed for instance. Only mirror glass was produced here at that time. However, it could hardly compete with North Bohemian glass factories heated by coal. That is why it was closed down in 1891 after the lease contract with Bystřice nad Úhlavou dominion came to its end. The administration of the dominion was then in search of a new operator. After a row of unsuccessful attempts, its buildings were built into a colony for woodcutters. Written by PhDr. Jitka Lněničková

Useful information

Important information:

GPS position

N 49° 11.982', E 13° 9.312'



Město Železná Ruda
Milan Kříž