česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Sklářská stezka II – okolím Železnorudska

Lenk´s Glassworks, Alte Osserhütte

The glassworks was established by Ferdinand Josef Lenk in the years 1796 – 1799 in an area below his late court. The glassworks was called Lenk´s or Old Glassworks below Ostrý (Alte Osserhütte). However, Lenk became bankrupt in 1800 due to economic crisis and the glassworks would quickly change many owners. With respect to its lands and buildings it was often the means of speculative purchase. Taking into account also the sales crisis of Czech glass, it is highly probable that a mere sporadic production was kept during the years 1800 – 1814. A more or less regular production was restored again after 1814 once the glassworks was purchased by Peter Heller and Franz Oppel who sold it to Anton Renner in 1819. Six glassmakers and their assistants were employed here by then. Its sheet glass was exported to Saxony, Hamburg and Trieste. Another purchase took place in 1824. The new owner became Josef Kitzinger (Greisinger?) who entrusted Mr. Kühner and Mayer with its operation. The time of prosperity began. The glassworks was awarded a simple trade certificate in 1837. The successful tandem went on till 1844 when the smelter was closed down. Johann Anton Ziegler bought the abandoned buildings, moved the operation to a different location and upgraded its production. Written by PhDr. Jitka Lněničková

GPS position

N 49° 12.605', E 13° 7.833'



Město Železná Ruda
Milan Kříž