česky english deutsch >>>

Sklářská stezka II – okolím Železnorudska

Fürst´s Glassworks, Fürstenhütte

The first glassworks on Brčálník Hill was established by a glass master called Fürst before the year 1700. It is known, therefore, as Fürst´s Glassworks. It remained in operation until 1719. Johann Nepomuk Hafenbrädel, a glass master from Železná Ruda Region, had bought lands from Bystřice nad Úhlavou dominion and built another glass factory on the right bank of Úhlava River on the southern slope of Brčálník Hill in 1794 – the New Fürst´s Glassworks (Neue Fürstenhütte). It is possible that it stood right in the place of the previous one. After his death in1799, the glassworks was controlled by his widow Marie Anna Hafenbrädel who put its operation in charge of the factor Thomas Erhard. About five glassmakers and their assistants were employed here around the year 1800 producing mainly sheet glass. The factory was closed down in 1808. Written by PhDr. Jitka Lněničková

Useful information

Important information:

GPS position

N 49° 10.883', E 13° 14.094'



Město Železná Ruda
Milan Kříž