česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Castles on the rocks

Kost

The Kost Castle stands on a sandstone cliff at an altitude of 274 m in the intersection of three valleys – Plakánek, Prokop and Black Pond. The valleys are excavated small water flows in the same rock on which the castle stands in the middle of them. They are canyons dug up in kaolinitic quartzose sandstones of Upper Turonian and Coniakian. These sandstone block containing only rarely finds boxes or imprints fossils. Medium-grained to coarse-grained sandstone are easily dismissing the water. Springs are common in all three valleys. They are the best seen in the Plakanek valley perhaps. It then they are only rocks on the bottom of the canyon and between them waterlogged meadows, springs from the rocks as sources of water and feed the small streams that merge into a stream Klenice. Today part of the castle with the characteristic massive White Tower was founded in the late 14th century, apparently as a surround older castle. As was customary, he broke the stone building in the vicinity. In 1358 was held Kost Benes elder Wartenberg, before the outbreak of the Hussite passed into the hands of Rabbits Hasenburg. Over the next two centuries, the owners of the castle and manor adjacent turns, some of them still recall the names of palaces – Šelnberský, Biberštejnský, Lobkowicz and of course Vartenberský. For Černíns in the second half of the 17 Bone century became the center of clerical dominion and slowly deteriorated. During the Austro-Prussian War in June 1866 had been even in the immediate vicinity of the castle to peripheral struggles. In the middle of 20th century the castle underwent a state-owned rendering and restoration work. Family of Kinsky is owner of the Kost castle today.

GPS position

N 50° 29.416', E 15° 8.136'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Geopark UNESCO Český ráj
Jiří Vlasák
e-mail:vlasak@geopark-ceskyraj.cz
http://www.geopark-ceskyraj.cz