česky english deutsch >>>

Historical sights

Bozkov – a significant sanctuary (church of the Virgin)

Bozkov lies on hills flown around by the brooks Vošmenda and Kamenice. The area, called Bozkov highlands, is formed by metamorphic rocks, like phyllites, marbles and greenschists of Silurian age (443 to 417 millions of years). The key locality of Silurian in this area is the valley of Jizera near Poniklá, where graptolite schist outcrops. Bozkov was founded around the half of 14th century probably by Cistercians of Mnichovo Hradiště. We can find several known families among the owners of the then Semily and Návarov domain, e.g. Svojanovští z Boskovic and from 1542 also Smiřičtí ze Smiřic. After the battle on Bílá hora, Bozkov was confiscated and included into the Frýdlant duchy of Albrecht z Valdštejna (Wallenstein).

The former Bozkov parish (including, among others, Jesenný and Roztoky) was administrated by the dean in Turnov and from 1631 to 1747 in Semily. In the years 1690–1693 the original woody church was replaced by the stony Virgo visit's church. This was made thanks to incentive of the countess Marie Polyxena Desfours of Mont and Adienville, mainly due to late-Gothic statue of grace of the Virgin of Bozkov, which was worshiped by devout pilgrims together with miracle water from a nearby well. Thanks to favor of patrons – the Desfours from Semily and Lamotts of Frintropp from Navarov (Jesenný) – the Mary's cult developed successfully. The sanctuary's tra­dition was also supported by the Caretts of Millesimo, and by literary activity of local spiritual officials (J. A. Kouble, J. K. Štajnygr). The Virgin of Bozkov – „Queen of mountains“ – was also a favorite motive of music opuses. The communist regime used also the Bozkov caves, open to the public, to suppress the Mary's cult. Although the traditional pilgrimages to the „Queen of mountains“ were restored after 1989, the township is today more renowned for the dolomite caves, attractive for tourists.

GPS position

N 50° 37.834', E 15° 19.933'



Geopark UNESCO Český ráj
Jiří Vlasák