česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

Ludvíkov

History of the village

LUDVÍKOV

The village of Ludvíkov is situated between Vrbno pod Pradědem and Karlova Studánka spa. The entire area, with the size of 2,112 ha, belongs to the Protected Area of Jeseníky. The village houses are located in the mountain valley along the Bílá Opava River. The middle altitude is 620 above sea level and the surrounding mountains reach up to 1,000 m. At the moment there are 338 inhabitants living in the village. The village of Ludvíkov originated in a densely afforested valley around 1700 by building foundries and steelworks. The founder of the village is considered to be Franz Ludwig, Earl Falcký.

The ruins of the Fürstenwalde Castle from the 13th century located at the foot of Zámecký vrch (Chateau Hill) are recorded on the list of cultural landmarks. Another sight is the renovated Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary from 1793 and the Chapel dating back to 1923, built to commemorate the victims of the WW1 and later of the WW2. Until 1945 the village was predominantly German; after the expulsion of the German inhabitants, people from other areas, mainly from Slovakia, started coming in. They were working in foundries and steelworks and also in forests for years. After the war, the main source of livelihood remained forestry, wood production and in agriculture, only farming cattle. The main source of living is now becoming growing tourism and accommodation facilities, restaurants, sports and interest facilities (autocamping, guest houses, three ski lifts, multi-purpose playground, children’s park, museum exhibition, educational paths). In terms of infrastructure, there is only a local municipal office and grocery store in the village. Since the floods in 1997, roads and public water system have been entirely renovated and construction of pavements has commenced; in addition, cycle paths as well as running tracks and an observation tower on Zámecký vrch are under way. After the revolution in 1989, traditions such as building a maypole and burning witches, Children’s Day, regular meetings with senior citizens, Ludvík’s Ball, Long Night summer fete have been introduced.

GPS position

N 50° 6.854', E 17° 20.879'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Actaea - společnost pro přírodu a krajinu
Kateřina Kočí
Karlovice 279, 79323
Tel.:+420 777 044 758
e-mail:info@actaea.cz
http://actaea.cz