česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Educational trail Rozmberk Fishpond

Stara Hlina

According the local history, Stara Hlina is one of the oldest properties of the Rozmberk Family. The oldest remarks about Hlina stem from 1331. Its original name, Hlina, means clay. The addition Stara or Old was added when another part of the village (Nova Hlina, Nova meaning new) arose on the opposite bank of the river Luznice.

The Rozmberk pond is located within the cadastral borders of Stara Hlina. According the registers, the Rozmberk pond originally measured 1.060 hectare, making it the largest artificial pond in Europe. As result of its construction, the road from Trebon and part of the village of Stara Hlina disappeared under water. Presumably, there had been a castle as well where the pond is now. In the first years after the construction of the pond, the only way from Trebon to Hlina and further toward Jindrichuv Hradec was through the village of Lomnice. To restore the shortest route for the Moravian Way from Trebon to Jindrichuv Hradec, Jakub Krcin designed a wooden bridge across the Rozmberk pond between Nova Hlina and Stara Hlina. This bridge was built in 1594 and was 902 meters long.

In 1741, the French military came into Trebon. One of their leaders and some men surveyed the area of Hlina. The opposing Austrian cavalry captured his party by surprise. To prevent retaliation by the French, the Austrian cavalry burned both wooden bridges, severing the connection with Trebon. The wooden bridge was finally replaced by a stone bridge at the end of the 18th century. The 2002 flooding damaged the bridge but it was restored to its old original. This bridge is protected as a technical monument.

GPS position

N 49° 2.308', E 14° 48.934'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Společnost Rožmberk o.p.s.
Olga Černá
Tel.:602 471 653
e-mail:cerna@rozmberk.org
http://ruze.ekomuzeum.cz