česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

PLA Poodří – memorable arboles

The oak in Kunín

Basic information

The memorable English Oak (Quercus robur) grows in the middle of the parish in the Kunín „výletiště“ („tripping“). It is 25 m high, approximately 300 years old, with the trunk circumference 540 cm. The tree was declared memorable in 1994. It is in good health except for a few dry branches. There is another memorable oak in this parish, growing near the road leading from Kunín to Suchdol upon the Oder.

Dub v Kuníně

Matters of interest

The town Kunín is dominated by a baroque castle. It was built by the counts from Harrach in a former double-decker fort in 1724 – 1726. The castle was designed by the famous architect Lucas von Hildebrandt (the author of the well-known Prince Eugen Savoy´s Belveder Castle in Vienna). The castle remembers its best times at the turn of the 18th and 19th century, when it was owned by Maria Walburgy, a liberal countess from Truchsess-Waldburg-Zeil, born from Harrach-Hohenems. This countess established one of the most modern educational institutes of central Europe there. The Church of the Elevation of the Holy Cross stands very close to the castle, being connected to it by a wooden bridge. Furstenberg and Schindler family tombs in the local cemetary belong to less known Kunín monuments.

Zámek v Kuníně

Kostel v Kuníně

Useful information

Contact information

AOPK ČR, SCHKO Poodří a KS Ostrava Trocnovská 2 702 00 Ostrava Telephone: + 420 596 133 673–4 http://www.poodri.ochranaprirody.cz

GPS position

N 49° 37.995', E 17° 59.365'



AOPK ČR, SCHKO Poodří a KS Ostrava
Trocnovská 2, 702 00 Ostrava
Tel.:+ 420 596 133 673-4