česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Around Novy Svetlov

Komna

The village evolved from a manor farm established in the 13th century to service the small Zuvacov fort, which used stand on a hill on the western part of the valley. Together with Nivnice and Uhersky Brod, Komna is considered one of the 3 possible birthplaces of the “teacher of nations”, Jan Amos Comenius. There are several reconstructed sights here, among them the Comenius memorial and the heritage listed traditional house No6, which houses a small Gelders’ Museum.

The Gelders' Museum

The gelder craft (eventually abandoned after WWII when the gelders were replaced by vets) constitutes an important aspect of the local history – in 1900 there were still some 200(!) cattle, pig and horse gelders here. When they returned home from their seasonal journeys, they would bring back not only money but also new information and goods.

Like many other settlements in this border region, Komna suffered repeated raids from Hungary and the Ottoman Empire. One raid of the Tatars in the 13th century hit the village really hard. It happened after a Sunday mass, when the villagers were coming out of the St Jacob church. Out of all local inhabitants, only 2 brothers survived the bloodshed, the village was burnt down. When the Tatars left, the brothers left their hiding place and started farming again. The event is still remembered in the village (St Jacob’s Thanksgi­ving Feast).

GPS position

N 48° 59.634', E 17° 48.030'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Vzdělávací a informační středisko Bílé Karpaty, o.p.s.
Marie Petrů
Bartolomějské náměstí 47, 698 01 Veselí nad Moravou
Tel.:518 322 545
e-mail:visbk@bilekarpaty.cz
http://bilekarpaty.cz/vis