česky english deutsch <<<

Technické památky jižních Čech

Ing. Gerstner´s Memorial in Rybník

The idea of connecting the Danube basin and the south of Bohemia with the horsecar railway was voiced by František Josef Gerstner as early as in 1807, as a counterproposal to the intent of joining the rivers Vltava and Danube with a water canal. This project was, however, put into practice by his son, Ing. František Antonín Gerstner (1795 – 1840). This, at that time spectacular, construction was initiated in summer of 1825 and after two short years in 1827, the successful trial operation from České Budějovice ¬to Leopoldschlag started. Further building work, however, was not possible due to the lack of money. F. A. Gerstner, however, succeeded in obtaining the monopoly right for his company to trade in and to transport the salt via this railway. The salt trade was so profitable so that the further railway construction could be funded. Since June 1830, the railway line was extended to Lest, Austria, while the regular transportation from České Budějovice to Linz started in August 1832. The railway line was thereby completed, including the changing stations, lineman’s houses and other facilities. F. Antonín Gerstner was the Czech, or more precisely, Austrian engineer who worked as a first professor of the practical geometry at the Polytechnic Institute in Vienna and pioneered in the railway construction in Bohemia, Austria and Russia. He died tragically during the street accident in Philadelphia in 1840.

GPS position

N 48° 38.980', E 14° 25.917'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]