česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Okruh Debrník - utajená obrana

Technical-engineering support

Changes of political regime after February 1948 meant for many people drastic intervention into their lives, including collectivization, nationalization and confiscation of their property. First political processes began, issuing death sentences or, at best, years in prison or years of forced labor… All this was happening in the atmosphere of fear from the State Police. No wonder that many citizens of the Eastern Bloc found the escape to the West the only possible way out of this situation. Despite strengthening of security forces providing the border surveillance with Austria and Germany, the regime at the end of the forties was not able to prevent the waves of emigrants crossing the western border. The western border was mostly forested and not much transparent. For this reason, the so-called military border surveillance system was introduced in the fifties. This system should have ensured the protection against crossing the state border not only from the neighboring states but also from its inland. The newly created Border Guard troops launched the construction of the so-called Technical-engineering support (TES) in 1951. Its purpose was to make the escape more difficult and to give a signal about the place and direction of the disturbance. The most important elements of TES was a wire barricade (single-skinned or trammel) with control arable zone, other signaling devices and with a wooden (later steel) observation tower system, The wire fence was built from wooden stakes to a height of 3 meters which were hammered or lowered into the ground and the space between them was strung with barbed wire. To increase the effectiveness of this obstacle, the inner fence was supplemented by 5–7 smooth wire conductors connected to a transformer with 2000–6000 voltage. Mere approximation to a non-insulated conductor of such high voltage could result in death or serious injury. Electrified wire barricade was in contemporary terminology referred to as „Electric device for border surveillance“. In 1952–1957, wire barricades were supplemented by minefields in some places. At the end of 1965 it was decided to stop the electrification obstacles, followed by the construction of new signaling walls further inland. The original routes of electric devices for border surveillance were gradually liquidated. Signal walls were built as single-row wire barricade made of conductible barbed wires. By breaking the wire connection in overcoming the fence gave a signal to the control panel of the Border Guard Platoon station. The Border Guard then insured to send emergency patrols to the disturbed signal wall. An essential part of the signal wall was a control strip from soil or sand, that was used to capture the tracks of the border intruder. In some places, the signal wall was complemented by a simple wall fence against animals, respectively by additional signal or light devices. The whole TE system was gradually improved and perfected until the beginning of the nineties. With regard to the change of the political regime in 1989, the TES was liquidated gradually, yet very quickly.

GPS position

N 49° 7.392', E 13° 12.517'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Město Železná Ruda
Milan Kříž
Tel.:602646780
e-mail:kriz@zeleznaruda.cz
http://