česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Okruh Debrník - utajená obrana

Supporting Points of the Border Guard Units

You are now standing at the supporting point of the Debrnická Platoon, whose main task was to defend the proceeding direction from Ferdinandovo Valley to Železná Ruda. Nine objects were built in total between the signal wall and the state border: four objects for machineguns, two shelters, two KŽ-4 objects and one observation point. Directly on the meadow in front of you, there is the machinegun object from 1953. Its fire range blocked the way from the open Debrnické Valley to Železná Ruda. Another supporting point was located at nearby elevation point 791 Pepík, but the largest supporting point was built near Alžbětín. After the dissolution of this platoon, it was occupied by the Svárožná Platoon. The Border Guard was abolished in 1990. Part of the objects was demolished or covered up, while the remaining bunkers were taken to evidence and maintenance of local motorized regiments. In the first half of the nineties, the field defense objects were gradually deactivated and their equipment was withdrawn in stores. Further maintenance was carried out only in a limited way, and mainly consisted in securing the uncovered shaft entries. Currently, there is an effort to transfer these no longer needed object outside the resort of the Ministry of Defense. The duty of the Border Guard was not only the border surveillance in the times of peace, but also the military defense of the national territory in case of war. The Border Guard units were quipped for that purpose with heavy machineguns, bazookas, cannons and temporarily also with heavy combat equipment. Individual Border Guard platoons were located along the entire length of the threatened border and were able to go into a combat readiness in a very short time, taking up defensive positions in the so called security zone, which was a variously defined broad area defined by the state border on one side and the front edge of the main defensive position of the army on the other. As some of the Border Guard platoons were located at the expected directions of the enemy´s progress, the so called „supporting points of reinforced fortification system“ were built in selected areas of some platoons after 1955. The Border Guard units always rehearsed the defense in training supporting points. The location of the „sharp“ supporting point of the platoon knew only the captain and the sapper, who ensured its maintenance. The platoon was able to occupy a foothold within 1500m and with the 1000m of depth defense. The way of reinforcing the supporting point with fortification was very similar, concerning individual platoons, only the number of constructed objects was directly proportional to the importance of the hindered section. The front defense zone was made of a group of machineguns objects of the KŽ-1 type. In gaps between the machineguns objects, there were firing objects of KŽ-4 type slightly more in the rear, for teams with bazookas. For purposes of commands and observation, the station for the platoon commander was built in an appropriate and strategic place. This station was in fact a shelter of the ÚŽ-2 type and a separate observation point. There were also rest shelters built in some cases. The systemic construction of the Border Guard supporting points was ended in 1963 and to a lesser extent it began again in the eighties.

GPS position

N 49° 7.619', E 13° 13.923'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Město Železná Ruda
Milan Kříž
Tel.:602646780
e-mail:kriz@zeleznaruda.cz
http://